Our Benefactor: Alma Louise Leo Taylor
Alma Leo Taylor was born March 23, 1902 in Portland, IN to William J. and Johanna Adelman Leo; she had one older sister, Hattie, and younger siblings Clyde, Edna, Elsie, and Lillian. By 1904 the family had moved to Greensburg, IN.
Alma graduated from Greensburg High School in 1920; she spent several years working a variety of secretarial positions in Indianapolis. On May 22, 1946 she married Earl J. Taylor and together they moved to his farm just north of Greensburg, outside of Sandusky.
In the mid-1960s they visited her brother in Alabama and decided they liked the weather and moved to Theodore, AL. Alma kept up with Greensburg’s news via a subscription to the Greensburg Daily News.
Her husband, Earl, and brother, Clyde, died in the 1990s. Alma began investing in stocks. Her attorney drove her to a neighboring town weekly to do her shopping because “it looked like Greensburg.”
Following her death on January 25, 2001, her will disclosed that she left monetary gifts to several Greensburg organizations including the Downtown Greensburg Development Corporation. In the early 2000s the DGDC Board decided to use the investment to create the Alma Taylor Foundation. The Foundation has offered grants to downtown building owners to enhance their buildings, preserving the square for years to come. Since that first grant in 2009, the Alma Taylor Foundation has awarded more than $250,000 with this goal in mind.
Mission Statement: To enhance and educate our community by preserving the heritage and fostering the development of Downtown Greensburg.
The primary purposes of this Corporation are to promote economic growth and development in the City of Greensburg and in Decatur County; Indiana; to expand employment opportunities through economic development; and to provide opportunities for community development, historic preservation, advancement of the arts, and improvement of the community as a whole through economic development.
The Corporation was organized exclusively as a charitable not-for-profit organization under Section 501C(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and the area served by the Corporation is Historic Downtown Greensburg.